Monday, January 23, 2012

Time and Pottery



I have been doing some reading on whether or not time actually slows down in a crisis. I read about an experiment in which scientists had the test subjects fall backwards off of a 45 meter high platform. After reviewing the results this group of scientists concluded that in an emergency we have richer and more detailed memories of the event, making it seem much longer. They compare this to children remembering their summers as longer than an older person who records memories of the same amount of time. As we grow older we remember less because commonplace events are no longer memorable for us. 
I've been working on my throwing. I feel pretty out of practice since I haven't been in ceramics class since June. The top photo is of my favorite mug so far. I have now made 11 cups/mugs. I started out making the little bowl forms on the bottom but realized quickly I needed to start back at the beginning and get some practice in.
I'm going to need a lot of pottery if I'm going to be smashing some of it. I am pretty sure I am going to add a video to my installation in March. Since what I am trying to show is that I believe time is perceptual, meaning that it may change based on circumstance, I want to film the smashing of my pottery. I am planning on filming them at regular speed and then slowing the video down at the moment right before they hit the ground and then returning it to regular speed mid-way through the breaking.
I plan on casting eggs this week as well. I want to have a few dozen made from porcelain that will be spilling out of a large bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment