Monday, October 22, 2012

Earnest Bowls and Leaving the Walls Behind

      Ian Shelley and I had a good chat on what an earnest wood fire bowl looks like. So I spent the six hours of my class time this week trying to make one. I paid a lot of attention to the relationship of the rim to the foot and also the throwing lines that I left on the side.

     I gave up on white stone ware and half porcelain/half stoneware and tried using gold art alone. It is the best that I have used so far. It is smooth but holds up well. It feels a little stiff at first but I really haven't felt as comfortable with any of the other three clay bodies I've used this semester.
 A new glaze recipe that I tried out didn't turn out so hot. The pitcher on the left turned bright dark red in the thicker areas. It is a half porcelain clay. I was expecting that color but a little more on the purple side. The little shape on the right turned green with hints of purple. It is made from a white stoneware recipe.
    This picture isn't very good. I am going to take some photos with a nice camera tomorrow and hopefully replace these. The important part is that my paintings stopped using the wall this week. The figures are hanging from the ceiling ant the walls and floor are made from foam. It only took 44 hours to make it happen. There is another piece that is mostly completed but this one took the most work.

     The figure on the right isn't quite where I want him because I am limited by the dropped ceiling at school. There will eventually be a rug that spill out of the dark carpet and breaks up the line across the bottom as well.

     There will be quarter round on both sides of the carpet at the bottom and the one that is there needs stained.

     Those are the only two things that I have planned to do. I'm finally almost finished with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment