Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Time to Blow the Dust Off the Ol' Blog

                                 Hello readers! 
      My blog was pretty neglected over the summer. It also has been missing any posts about my paintings for a long time. I'm going to try and take care of these problems in one post. So here goes guys!
    


 I'm so super excited about this...

     The book The Geometric Unconscious finally came out!
It is a collection of five essays that cover geometric abstraction. One of my paintings from a little over a year ago is included in the essay by Jeremy Gilbert-Rolfe. There are also a few paragraphs on why I fit into a book about geometric abstraction. It's for sale on Amazon and at many other bookstore. Wink. Wink.










                                  CERAMICS!!!!!!!

     It is here. My senior year and it comes with my own little studio in the ceramics room! It's time to start filling those shelves with work and making some huge pizzas by the looks of that giant Ragu can. 












    



Our new storage containers for glaze ingredients has me excited to start trying out some new glaze recipes.



 Some work drying and waiting for the construction for the new kiln and refurbished kiln room to wrap up.






This is where I start to talk about my paintings.
I thought I would start it off with a creepy photo of myself. 

This is a painting I did a year ago. It was inspired by a story written in Spanish by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This was near the beginning of my fascination with painting from Spanish literature. I like to be a part of long processes and then reflect on them. By painting from Spanish literature I begin a process of author's thoughts to paper, from Spanish to English (I am still learning Spanish so I have to translate some words into English), from story to painting and then from painting to a viewers thoughts.
 
 

   This is another painting from that same year. I was also trying to make my paintings more and more mysterious. I think that it is important that I don't give the viewer enough information. I hope that the paintings inspire them to make up their own story.


     This was the first painting in which I started to play with the shape of my surface. 



      Then the figures began to stick out beyond the edges of the canvas. I wanted to push that a little further so....




        then I painted this one.  I tried to play with perspective and to try and make the paintings more strange. That was a bad idea. It read as a mistake. I needed something more deliberate. I also decided it was time to let go of straight edges. 

     This was where that lead me. The painting was 8 foot by 8 foot in total space that it took up on the all. It was made from wood panel with wooden edges. The siding sticking from the door and window are real sheets of vinyl siding. There is also glass inside the window and door.
      The wood was too limiting. It created strange edges to the figures because it was too difficult to achieve a detailed line with a jigsaw. 
      I then began to work with foam. I cut the figure from a sheet of foam and then sealed the surface. This is the game plan for this year's work. The foam was an answer to a lot of the problems I encountered with the wood.
     This piece is going to be part of a much larger installation, at 15 feet long,  involving other shaped paintings and drawings as well as video and real objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment