Monday, April 9, 2012

Train Kiln

     The train kiln ready for its inaugural firing! It was hard work but fun to build. I'm really excited that I was a part of its construction. 


     Jay and I had the overnight shift which looked a lot like this. It was pretty slow going at first because we would just throw in a few pieces ever so often as we built up the coal bed. I was bummed when I had to go to work and missed out on some of the stages of the firing.
 This is all the work laying out on the table before we loaded it in the kiln.
     I learned how to tumble stack. This is what the loaded work looked like inside the kiln. To achieve nice fire patterns we put the work down so that it would let the fire flow between the pieces. The ash blows through the kiln and melts on the pottery creating patterns and shine.
     The kiln has cooled down enough that we will be unloading it tomorrow. I am really excited to see how everything turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment