Monday, September 10, 2012

Verbs







     So after about 5 failed attempts at this sequence of photos, I have one that I like. The assignment was to pick a verb and then in some way use unfired clay. The verb I chose was to overextend. I am at a point in my work, in both painting and ceramics, that I am trying not to overdue anything. My senior year seems like a strange and stressful time to try and simplify things but that is what I am trying to do. I am trying to slow down and think about what it is that I'm doing.

     For this photo I blew up a balloon filled with slip until it burst. It was hard to do several takes of this while I was wearing all black. I have a lot of laundry to do. 

     I believe that this photo also goes along with my ceramic work from last year and my show in the Space Lab. It is also about time and how we perceive it. I have a fascination with examining the passing of time.

    



      Here is a progress shot of my next two cut out paintings. They are very much in the early drawing stages here. I'm excited about taking them further. Video, feathers, and painting on the wall behind will all be incorporated in this one.




      This is a form I have been playing with on the wheel. I want to make at least 50 closed in forms of different shapes for the off campus show in November. I then want to invite people to make their own "sculptures" out of them. They are all shaped strangely so I'm sure they will often crash to the ground but that is what I want to happen.
    
     This is the next step in to my Space Lab show last semester. I want the viewer to interact with the work and then interview them on their perception of time while participating. This is also my chance to poke fun at the gallery setting.







No comments:

Post a Comment